22 May 2009

"Beer and Jesus" from blog by Jason Salamun

Picture yourself at a backyard BBQ party.

There’s conversation and laughter

Kids are running around playing.

Many of the adults have a beer or a Mike’s Hard Lemonade in hand.

According to Scripture, is this a sinful picture?

When it comes to Christians and alcohol there are various points of view.

a. Satan made it and I don’t want it.

b. Satan made it but I secretly enjoy it.

c. God made it but I don’t want it.

d. God made it, I say I don’t want it, but I secretly enjoy it.

e. God made it and I enjoy it.

I used to be an option c guy.

Then an option d guy.

Now I’m an option e guy.

Why?

I read my bible.

It changed my mind.

Like Deuteronomy 14:26.

Or Psalm 104:14-15

Or John 2: 1-11

And many more.

Then there’s Jesus.

I love Jesus.

He’s my Savior and my great example.

He drank.

See Matthew 11:19.

And it wasn’t mere grape juice.

Jesus also never sinned.

2+2=4

I can do what Jesus did.

It’s a problem to apply our morality to Jesus.

It actually works the other way around.

Jesus is better than religion.

But we do have a few guidelines.

Don’t get hammered.

Be of legal drinking age.

Don’t make it your god.

And in all things, love others.

Because living free isn’t just about what we can do.

It’s who we can love along the way.

So let’s go back to the original picture.

The BBQ.

There’s conversation and laughter

Kids are running around playing.

Many of the adults have a beer or a Mike’s Hard in hand.

According to Scripture, is this a sinful picture?

Assuming we’re loving God and people, no.

It’s actually a wonderful picture of community the way God intended it.

A little drop of Isaiah 25: 6-9

So whether you drink or not, it doesn’t matter much to me.

You have a conscious.

Follow it.

But it’s not the voice of a preacher, parent, or your old youth pastor.

It’s the Spirit of God inside of you.

I could say more but I’ll leave it at this:

You’re free to worship God and enjoy his creation.

And if you do drink a beer or sip some wine, remember 1 Corinthians 10:31:

“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.”

Enjoy your beer knowing God is the great Brew Master.

Just do it in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment