27 May 2009

moleskins and inspiration

At some point working in the computer lab today I decided that I was going to go to the closest bookstore and take a browse. Sometimes I need to do this in search for inspiration—they only way I can really quit the pattern of idleness. Unfortunately, I have yet to develop the self control that will enable me to cold turkey my lazy-like tendencies and get up, wake up, and move forward.

My search for inspiration was a success. I know God is to thank for that :) My initial goal was to buy a pretty moleskin. And if you’d forgive me for taking a tangent I want to say that these days I find that I’ve been more attracted to plainer things. Or maybe to put it in another way I’m appreciating the art of simplicity. So I found my moleskin, 3½ x 5½, soft covered, black, and wonderful, but I wasn’t convinced that it was time to leave…so I flipped through some digital photography books and eyed some of the journals by the exit. and that’s where I found it :)

By the journals on the second floor of Barnes & Nobles in Kenmore is a tower? of sorts, I don’t know the name of the thing, which holds a number of Harvard Business Review books…books? that almost look like pamphlets because of their size and length. I was drawn to the title Managing Oneself and only quickly flipped through the pages before I was determined to make it my purchase. :D

I’m about two-thirds through the book now and I’m already enlightened :) a book that only hours before sat untouched and unmarked, now contains markings and fingerprints all over its pages, thanks to me. I guess I’m almost done now, but I know that it’ll take a greater endeavor in order to let the words soak and seep in, and of course, even longer to actually apply it to my own life.

I highly recommend buying a copy! It’s not every day that you come across a piece of literature that is compact and meaningful. If you’re frugal you can always borrow mine, as long as you promise to give it back in a decent time frame :)

No comments:

Post a Comment